PHOENIX, AZ — A Phoenix dog is being hailed as a “hero” for jumping in front of his owner and taking a venomous rattlesnake bite to the face. Paula Godwin, of Anthem, told Patch she took her two dogs hiking on a trailhead near North Seventh Avenue and West Carefree Highway around 7 a.m. Friday. As they strolled down the hill, her curious 6-month-old golden retriever, Todd, jolted toward her foot.
“I didn’t see the snake and I am so careful when it comes to these things,” Godwin said, noting she’s lived her whole life in the area and knows of the dangers. “That dang rattlesnake was so camouflaged I did not see that thing.”
The snake, an adult with a grayish color and white speckles, didn’t make a sound until it was too late.
“I think the snake was sleeping because I didn’t even hear a rattle. It was super quiet,” said Godwin.
Todd put his nose down close to the ground to see what was on the trail. The snake immediately bit him on the nose and cheek area.
“Right when he struck he started to rattle,” she said.