When animal control officers found one-year-old Peanut lying on a sidewalk in Philadelphia, they immediately knew something was very wrong.
The officers found out from the locals that Peanut was injected with all kinds of drugs by the neighborhood kids. As Peanut might have been heavily drugged, they could not waste another minute and marked her as an extremely urgent case.
Chloe Henley and Alex Jewkes, from Norfolk, England, were on vacation in the Philippines when they came across a tiny two-month-old puppy who was in need of help.
The pup was tied to a lamp-post by four feet of rope next to a construction site in the town of El Nido. He wouldn’t stop crying out for help and was in visibly bad shape. He was severely malnourished and surrounded by broken glass and sharp metal.
Not everyone understands that a lot like children, dogs naturally make noise. Sometimes they bark to communicate with other dogs, sometimes they bark for protection. For Lily, her barks likely had to do with hunger pains from living on the streets for so long. She was partially paralyzed too. Life hadn’t been kind to Lily, not one bit.
Irresponsible breeding is a topic often discussed on I Love My Dog. Sadly, it hasn’t gotten any better. When two Chihuahuas, mother and daughter, were found on the side of a dangerous stretch of road in the UK, we learned yet again why it’s so important to support animal adoption and not animal breeders.
Two little dogs were seen in obvious distress on the side of the road. After a few calls were made, the pair was rescued. The mom had a severe back leg injury that had already improperly healed. The pup seemed to be suffering from a head injury. They had no identification tags or chips.
7-week-old Layla was found terrified and overwhelmed in the busy street traffic, before she was rescued by the Beaumont Animal Care workers. Layla was weakened and nervous, so the shelter workers showered her with all their love and care.
Pit bulls are complete love bugs, but sadly many are euthanized in high-kill shelters because of their breed.
Mario Rodriguez was making a delivery in California when he received a link from his wife about a Pit bull named Hickory that was about to be euthanized. The moment he say the dog’s face he was in love. Hickory reminded him so much of his beloved Pit bull, King, that just passed away.
“I couldn’t save him, but I’m gonna save a couple for him,” Mario told The Dodo.
Pit Bulls have often been publicized as dangerous or violent animals. Some cities, neighborhoods, even airlines have banned them, all owing to this perceived problem.
They couldn’t be more incorrect.
Pit Bulls, also known as American Staffordshire Terriers, often make the most kind and loving pets. Sadly, just like other breeds, many of them wind up at animals shelters. One lodged at the Amarillo Animal Management and Welfare facility, in Texas, has recently become an example of the negative image this breed gets.
And for one of the saddest reasons imaginable.
On May 10, the shelter euthanized the female Pit Bull while she was in labor. Not long after, shelter staff put her babies down, as well.
A volunteer at the Amarillo-Panhandle Humane Society first made the incident public.
“Need to write about something that I recently witnessed and found completely appalling and unacceptable,” she wrote. “I have found immense joy through my volunteering, and I have struggled with the potential pushback from speaking out.
“I have also sought to remedy wrongs through the proper channels. I have held on to this post, hoping that I would not have to share, but I cannot seem to get anywhere. Today, I am coming to the public for support”
A group of people went to a Georgia landfill to dispose of trash, but were shocked at what they found. They saw a cardboard box and peered inside to a horrific scene. The box was full of dead puppies, but then one moved.
All the puppies were dead except one. However, that one was in bad shape. The poor thing endured severe abuse and would need a lot of medical attention. They noticed the puppy’s mouth was swollen and not sure if the puppy would survive. The good samaritans rushed the puppy to a local shelter. That shelter called Rescue Dogs Rock NYC and asked them if they would take the six-week-old puppy in.