For those of us who see our dogs as family, it’s impossible to understand why people would go out of their way to be cruel to their pets.
Back in February, a Texas woman named Melissa Torrez was shocked when her boyfriend told her to look at a person riding a motorized scooter. The man, 59-year-old Mario Cardona, had been dragging his German shepherd on the sidewalk behind him.
When Torrez told Cardona she would call the police if he didn’t stop, he simply responded by saying it was his dog, as if he could do whatever he wanted. “This poor baby was helpless and this man just didn’t even care,” Torrez said.
Lynn Wainman arrived to her Hollywood home on Valentine’s Day to find that it had been ransacked. Her jewelry was stolen, but worst of all, her beloved dog named Daisy was missing as well.
Wainman had adopted Daisy from the shelter more than seven years ago. Daisy has a severe skin condition that requires medication. Without it, her skin could become very bad, so Wainman worried about this as well.
Months after Daisy had gone missing, a good Samaritan saw her on a road in North Miami Beach and took her in to try and find the owner. They scanned the dog for a microchip, which she had, but it still had the previous owner’s information. But with a lot of hard work, they finally were able to find Wainman.
With freezing temperatures blowing across the U.S. this winter, reports of tragic accidents—and even deaths—have been pervasive. However, one story of a disabled dog who survived five days in icy temperatures is melting hearts all over the internet.
Buddy, a 13-year-old Goldendoodle from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, has had his share of challenges. He is blind, and is also battling cancer. So when his owner, Patsy Sumpter, put him outside on a Wednesday evening and he didn’t return, she feared the worst.
“Normally he goes down in the woods and he comes back,” she told KARE-11. “And he didn’t come back. And I kept calling and calling.”
According to Sumpter, the weather in her eastern Minnesota town deteriorated as she searched for her missing pup over the next few days.
“The weather changed and it snowed that next morning and it just got worse and worse, and I just felt so helpless,” she said.
As Sumpter continued to call and look for Buddy, her neighbor, Emily Raguse, returned home from a weekend trip away. And while Raguse rarely entered the spare bedroom in the basement of her home, she tell reporters that some unknown force—what Raguse calls “divine intervention”—prompted her to go down there that Monday, January 15.
When you own a pet, you’re forgiven for lavishing him or her with attention. After all, they’re your baby! You’ll have no problem spending top dollar to buy them the most delicious (and nutritious) food and to make sure that they receive the best medical care possible.
Unfortunately, in many parts of the world, people lack either the resources or the knowledge to care for their pets as well as they possibly could. And, sadly, those animals suffer the consequences. This can mean anything from being malnourished to suffering from otherwise treatable illnesses and infestations.
That’s exactly what happened with a South African dog by the name of Belle. By the time animal welfare workers got a hold of her, they noticed that she was dealing with an otherwise simple—and treatable—problem that had spiraled out of control…
It’s safe to say that the staff at Community Led Animal Welfare (CLAW), a South African animal rescue organization, has seen just about everything. But when they found a poor dog named Belle who’d been completely neglected by her owner, they knew this was no ordinary case.
One common and terrible thing we hear of, about glue, is when someone has an accident with glue, but for someone to purposely glue a dog’s eyes and moth well that is really just despicable…
She was abandoned with her eyes and mouth glued closed, she was really struggling when they found her, she was on the side of the road by the Oaklawn area, poor doggie! She has been named Glory and she is a terrier mix breed after she was rescued she had to spend many days with the emergency vet!
It is really going to take quite some time for her to fully recover from her ordeal though, no surprise!
It was literally her fight to survive that kept her going through it all and that’s exactly where her name came from ‘Glory’!
Last week in a courtroom, victory came for a pit bull named Caitlyn who was found with her muzzle taped shut in 2015.
William Dodson was sentenced to five years for felony animal cruelty charges after, along with 15 years for unrelated drug and weapon charges.
“The maximum sentence handed down by the judge is a victory for us and for all animal cruelty victims around the world,” says Aldwin Roman, the director of anti-cruelty and outreach for Charleston Animal Society, the organization that helped Caitlyn. “But beyond the actual punishment this was about more than this case as the both the Solicitor and the Judge stated. Our communities will not tolerate these crimes and we must do more to change how our animal protection laws are structured and how these crimes are viewed by the justice system.”
A 2-year-old pit bull found severely burned more than a month ago is on the mend.
When an animal control officer responding to a report of an injured dog found “Justice” in Shelby County on Nov. 2, he had injuries to his head, ears, neck, eyes and other parts of its body, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police said in a news release Tuesday.
The injuries were consistent with being burned, police said. Chemicals used to burn the tan male dog had caused his skin to die and slough off, the Shelby County Animal Shelter said in a Facebook post.
Wall-E, a Lab mix, was first adopted from Maricopa County Animal Care and Control (MCACC) in 2015. The sweet pup thought he had found his forever family. Sadly, he was returned to the shelter three years later with two garbage bags.
The garbage bags contained his bed and all of his toys that the previous owner surrendered along with Wall-E. The shelter posted that the decision to surrender the dog was not taken lightly, as the family was in tears.”This guy deserves a forever family who won’t give up on him ❤️Please don’t bash his previous owners though. We don’t know the whole story. What we do know is the owner was heartbroken and crying. It was hard to finally help them leave. The staff was crying with the owners. We don’t believe this decision was taken lightly.”
However, Wall-E was confused and left wondering what he did wrong to end up back at the shelter.